Any time a stocking item's cost, lot number, or expiration date changes, you will need to create a new receiving entry for that item.
How to receive a new lot and expiration:
- Go to Management, then click Receiving.
- Use the Find/Scan Item bar to search for the item you want to receive.
*** Please Note: Be sure you have created the item prior to receiving the product into the system. For instructions on how to create a new item, follow this link Adding and Editing Items and Services.
- Once you have added the item you wish to receive, enter the cost price, the quantity, the new lot number, and the new expiration date for the item.
- After editing these fields click Save Item to save your changes.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3 for any additional items you want to receive at the same time.
- Once you have added, edited, and saved all other items you wish to receive, click Finish to complete the receiving entry
Many clinics choose to receive products based on supplier purchase orders or item categories to save time and effort. If applicable, you can assign the supplier to the receiving invoice for historical reference. Be sure to create the supplier first, from the Management page, otherwise, no options will appear at the time of receiving.
How to mark a new lot number and expiration date as active:
Hippo can track multiple lots and quantities of a product at one time. To distinguish which lot should be active use the Update Qty feature under Items and Services.
- From the Items and Services page, search for the item you need to update, then click Update Qty under the Modify column.***If Update Qty is not available, check the settings of the items. If an item is marked as a Procedure or Non-Stocking code, Update Qty will appear as N/A on the Items and Service page.
- Once you have opened Update Qty you will see a Receiving Lines table, displaying any lot with a Current Quantity greater than zero. You will also see the lot and expiration date of the receiving entry.
- After reviewing the list, click Set Active, for the entry that has the most up-to-date cost, lot number, and expiration.
If you find an entry in the Receiving Lines table that still has a current quantity greater than zero, however, the cost and/or expiration date is not correct, use the Adjust +/- column to subtract the remaining quantity. Removing the quantity from a "bad lot", with incorrect information, is the only way to ensure this lot is not used in the future.
*** When a lot's quantity reaches zero, Hippo will automatically move to the lot with the next closest expiry and a quantity greater than zero.