All medications dispensed within Hippo Manager will go through the Medications widget which can be found as a widget or quicklink on various screens.
Dispensing a Medication
1. Select the Medications widget or quicklink, on the Choose Action, Chart Note, or Patient screen, and then select (+) in the upper right corner of the screen.
2. In the Medication dropdown, select the medication you wish to dispense.
3. Select the Chart Note that corresponds with this visit.
- Important Note: Selecting a chart note will automatically tie the documentation for this prescription to the chart note itself. This will only display chart notes in unsigned status.
4. In the Refills Allowed section, input the number of approved refills.
5. In the Invoice to Add To dropdown, select the desired invoice for this visit, or none if not applicable.
6. The Issue Date will autofill with today's date, and the Exp. Date field will autofill if the item has been received during inventory management. You can also add the expiration date manually to this field if not populated automatically. For more information on inventory receiving, check out:
- Administration: Creating and Editing Inventory Codes
- Management: Performing a Receiving Entry
- Management: Updating Lot Numbers & Expiration Dates.
7. In the Quantity field, input the dispensing quantity, and select the appropriate unit from the Units dropdown.
8. You can also free-type the administering instructions into this field, or you can use Medication templates to optimize workflow for routine or repeat medication instructions. For assistance with creating custom templates to use in the Note Template dropdown, check out Management: Creating Medication Templates.
- Important Note: If this item has information populated in the Description field under Items and Services, it will populate in the Note section on this screen automatically.
9. When all the information is correct, select Ok to save.
Medication Widget Control Icons
Within the main Medications widget screen, you will notice control icons in the lower right corner of the screen.
(Defining icons from left to right)
Refill Prescription: Opens a window to add a new dispensation for the selected medication. This icon will be greyed out if the medication does not have refills available.
Toggle Prescription Signing: This allows a user with the Authorized Signatory access level, to sign and unsign prescriptions. Unsigned medications will be available on the User To-Do list for signing. For more information on the User To-Do List, check out Choose Action: Using the User To-Do List.
Print Rx: Print the prescription for your client to take to an outside pharmacy to be filled.
Print Medication Label: Prints a label to be used for medications dispensed in-house.
Edit: Allows you to edit the selected medication.
Remove: Deletes the medication from the patient’s record. Only unsigned prescriptions can be removed.
Refresh: Refreshes the table of medications. If you don’t see a medication that was added on another computer or tab, try this button to see if it appears.
Separate item codes can be created to help with documenting historical medications or online pharmacy requests. Example: “Historical Medication” or “Online Pharmacy.” For assistance with creating a placeholder item code, check out Administration: Creating an Online Pharmacy or Historical Medication Item Code.
Looking for a good label printer? Check out Integrations: Installing a DYMO Printer.