How to add a new medication (Medications Widget, Quick Link, and Chart Note):
- Click on the Medications widget from the Choose Action screen or a chart note, or click on the Medications Quick Link.
- To add a new medication, click on the plus sign in the top right of the widget.
- Select the medication from the Medication dropdown. You can search by keyword to speed up the process.
- If adding the medication outside of the chart note, select the chart note to tie the medication to.
- If there is no unsigned chart, follow the prompts to create a chart note.
- Input the number of refills allowed and indicate whether it is acute.
- Select the invoice to add it to; if not adding to an invoice, leave None selected.
- The expiration date will populate from inventory (if you have entered that information through the Receiving or set up process), but you can edit it if needed.
- Input the quantity and select the units.
- If the description is filled in under Items and Services, it will populate on the label/Rx notes. You can make any necessary changes at this time. Alternatively, you can use note templates, which function similarly to our chart templates.
- When all the information is correct, click Ok.
How to add a new medication (Sales Register):
- If applicable, select an unsigned chart note from the Chart Note drop down menu.
- Ensure that the provider is correct in the Seen By drop down.
- Use the Find/Scan Item field to select the medication you would like to add to the invoice.
- Adjust the quantity to be correct.
- Repeat steps 2-3 as many times as necessary, and complete the invoice as normal. The medication will be added to the Medications widget automatically. Any additional edits can be made there.
Medication widget breakdown:
The body of the widget is a table displaying all of the historical medications associated with the active patient in Hippo Manager. In the bottom right corner, you will find seven buttons. Find an explanation of them below (from left to right):
- Refill Prescription: Opens a window to add a new dispensation for the selected medication. Reference above steps for information on filling it out.
- Toggle Prescription Signing: Allows you to sign and unsign prescriptions.
- Print Rx: Prints the prescription for your client to take to an outside pharmacy to be filled.
- Print Medication Label: Prints a label to be used for medications you dispense in house.
- Edit: Allows you to edit the selected medication.
- Remove: Deletes the medication from the patient’s record. Only unsigned prescriptions can be removed.
- Refresh: Refreshes the table of medications. If you don’t see a medication that was added on another computer or tab, try this button to see if it appears.
It is important to note that any time a medication is added, edited, deleted, refilled, or signed/unsigned, it will be noted within the medications log of the corresponding chart note. The medications log cannot be changed or altered once an entry has been added. It will be included if the chart is printed.
You can document any medication/supplement a patient may be taking in the Medications widget, even if you didn’t prescribe/dispense at your hospital, a few different ways. Either create a line item in Hippo so you can add it to the Medications widget by name OR create a generic “Outside Prescription” or “Written Prescription” line item and type the specific medication in the Description box of the Prescribe Medication window as described above... there are different workflow options to accomplish capturing this information for the patient record. Select the workflow option that suits your preferences best! (Just be sure to choose the option No Invoice and nothing will be generated on the client’s invoice).
Looking for a good label printer? Check out this article on our compatibility with DYMO equipment.