Chart templates are a powerful feature within Hippo Manager that helps you save time and streamline your invoicing process. Chart templates give you the ability to pre-populate text, dates, numbers, reminders, and schedule to-do list items for the staff. In addition, you can attach specific item and/or procedure charges to templates, which automatically create an invoice for the patient, ensuring that your practice is not missing any charges at checkout.
Templates are found in the Management tab, and by clicking on Manage Chart Templates. You will see a list of available chart templates on the left side of the screen. Items listed in green are user-created chart templates, and items listed in black are stock chart templates that are preloaded in Hippo Manager. Chart templates are organized in folders. Click the left arrow next to a folder to reveal its contents.
Creating Chart Templates
1. From the Manage Chart Templates widget, click Add Folder. (You can embed folders within folders, so make sure no existing folder is highlighted when you add a new folder. Unless of course, you wish to start a new folder within the existing folder.)
2. Input the folder name. If desired, the template can be limited to appearing in certain sections of the SOAP chart. Please note that it will still appear in any of the other chart types (Email, Phone, History, Progress, and Treatment). Click Ok.
3. Find the folder you just created on the left side of the screen and click on it to highlight it. Type the chart template contents on the right side under Description. Click Add as New Template at the bottom of the screen to save it as a new template.
4. Once the template is added, you can add tags, items, and/or a diagnosis code. Click on the left arrow next to the folder name, then select the template. At that point, the tags and item fields become available.
Using Dynamic Tags in Chart Templates:
Hippo Manager gives you the ability to add Dynamic Tags to any of your chart templates. Dynamic Tags behave like macros, which makes data entry faster and easier when completing patient charts. Click the dropdown menu to reveal the list of Dynamic Tag options. For more information about Dynamic Tags, check out Choose Action: Using Chart Template Dynamic Tags.
Attaching Items and/or Services to Templates:
Items and Services can be associated with any chart template within Hippo Manager, allowing you to start an invoice while creating chart notes. Not only does this facilitate the checkout process, but it also ensures that everything included during a procedure is added to the invoice and nothing is missed. Items can always be removed or adjusted at checkout, if necessary.
1. Select the template you would like to add items/services to from the Manage Chart Templates widget.
2. In the Items field, search for the item/service you would like to add by name.
3. From the Qty drop-down, select the desired quantity you would like to add.
4. Repeat these steps for as many items as you would like.
When the chart template is used, the items attached to it will be added to the invoice. If any items were not used, they can be removed. Additionally, if the quantities need to be adjusted, that can be done from the checkout screen.
Editing or Deleting Chart Templates and/or Folders:
Editing folders: From the Manage Chart Templates widget, click on the folder you would like to edit. Here, you can change the name, and which sections of the SOAP chart it will be available on.
Editing templates: Locate the desired template within its folder, and click on its name. Here you can make whatever changes you would like. To delete items, click on the items in question, then click on the trash icon below them. Be sure to click Save Template when you are satisfied with your edits.
Deleting templates: Click on the name of the template you want to delete, then click on the trash can icon on the left-hand side of the screen.
Deleting folders: First, delete all of the templates within the folder, then click on the name of the folder and click the trash can icon on the left side of the screen.
The stock templates provided by Hippo Manager that are in black font cannot be deleted by users; only custom templates and folders created by your practice can be deleted. If you wish to have the standard templates removed, please contact support.
For more information about using chart templates, check out Choose Action: Using Chart Templates.