Creating a New Item or Service
1. Go to the Administration tab, and select the Items and Services widget.
2. Click the Create New Item button in the top right corner of the screen.
3. Fill out as many of the fields in the new window as necessary and possible for the given item. See below for a full breakdown of all available fields.
4. Once at the bottom of the screen, and all necessary entry points are filled in, click the Save Item button in the bottom left corner of the screen to save.
Editing an Existing Item or Service
1. Click the Administration tab and select the Items and Services widget.
2. Within the Item Name field, type the name of the item or service you wish to edit. This will narrow the list below.
3. When the desired item or service appears in the table below, click the Edit button towards the right of the screen for that line.
4. Change as many of the fields in the new window as necessary and possible for the given item. See below for a full breakdown of all available fields.
5. Once at the bottom of the screen, and all necessary entry points are filled in, click the Save Item button in the bottom left corner of the screen to save.
Items and Services Breakdown
Name: The name will reflect how it will appear in searches, along with various areas of the system, such as an invoice, certificate, and/or medication.
UPC/EAN/ISBN: This can be used for barcode information if using a barcode scanner. The field can also be used for item numbers (i.e. for wellness plans, lab codes, and specific procedure codes).
Type: Item or service identifier (See list below for more details)
- Non-Stocking Item: Reserved for services not requiring a callback or hospital items (non-stocking).
- Stocking Item: Items physically in the hospital or require a callback.
- Procedure: Procedure: Reserved for services requiring a call back (e.g. spay surgery). Services marked as a Procedure will automatically show up on the Reports → Client Communications → Call Back List.
- Lab Test: This can be used to indicate services as labs. (Currently, no active functionality).
- Wellness Plan Enrollment Fee: This item type is not yet tied to any additional functionality. It exists as a placeholder as we develop future wellness plan integrations.
- Item Kit: used to identify Item Kits that bundle items/services together for faster data entry at the invoice level or estimate level.
- Rabies Tag: Makes this field is required before checkout and/or when creating vaccine certificates. This will ensure that rabies tags are properly tracked on the Rabies Tag list in Hippo Manager.
- Discount Code: Items with this option enabled subtract from the total on invoices.
- Gift Card: When the item is sold at the register, a gift card will be added to the Credits and Gift Cards widget for the client.
- Account Credit: Account Credit: Only one item can be marked with this designation. Upon creating an item with this field turned on, the Convert to Credit button will be available in the Sales Register.
Location: This allows you to select one or multiple locations where this item or service is offered.
Account: Alternative item or service identifier with the AAHA chart of accounts listed (This section is commonly used for AAHA accredited hospitals)
Category: This allows you to group similar items/services, mainly for reporting purposes. Some categories are pre-loaded, you also have the ability to create your own custom categories. For assistance with customizing item or service categories, check out the "Creating and Editing Item Categories" article.
Description: Notes within this field will display on the invoice and also the medication prescription. While it will generate within these areas of the system automatically, this can be deleted or modified as needed.
Allow Alt Description: If enabled, this allows you to modify the description on the checkout screen.
Vaccine: If this item is a vaccine, this will display in the item within the Vaccines widget and allow vaccine certificates to be printed for this item.
Controlled Substance: Any time an item with this designation is dispensed/received, it's displayed on the Controlled Substance Log.
Reproductive: Items or Services with this designation, will change the patient’s gender and display within the Patient Reserve when that Item or Service is applied to the invoice.
Prescription: When this toggle is checked, the item will display in the Medications widget and allow prescription labels and scripts to be created.
Included in Wellness Plan: This item behavior is not yet tied to any additional functionality. It exists as a placeholder as we develop future wellness plan integrations.
Require Provider: This will require a provider to be listed for this item on the checkout screen before an invoice can be closed.
Serialized: Makes this field is required before checkout and/or when generating vaccine certificates. This will ensure that rabies tags are properly tracked on the Rabies Tag list in Hippo Manager also. The Rabies Tag List can be found under Detailed Reports.
Euthanasia: An item or service with this designation will mark patients as deceased automatically when this item or service is applied to the invoice.
Hide From Sales Register: Only allows items to be added to an invoice through Chart Templates or Item Kits. The item will still appear on invoices, but will not be searchable from the Checkout screen.
Cost Price: Price paid by the practice for each dispensable unit of an item. It's recommended that items are input at the smallest unit sold to allow for accurate quantity tracking. For example, if an item is sold per tablet, have the cost price reflect the cost per tablet.
Minimum Sale Price: If entered, the cost to the customer will never go below this amount. This is helpful for items that are priced at a certain amount if they purchase 1 tablet or 30 tablets, the retail pricing will remain the same.
% Mark Up: Will automatically calculate the unit price if populated. This is helpful to avoid selling a product at the old pricing. If this is used, the retail will fluctuate as the cost does, but your profits will always remain accurate.
Dispensing Fee: This is helpful on the invoice level if your practice charges a Dispensing fee or Biohazard fee for certain products or services. This additional charge will automatically apply to the invoice as a secondary line when this item or service is used.
Unit Price: This is the client price for each dispensable unit of an item. It's recommended that items are input at the smallest unit sold to allow for accurate quantity tracking. For example, if an item is sold per tablet, have the unit price reflect the pricing per tablet.
Taxes: Tax added from the Item Taxes widget in the Administration tab will populate here. For assistance with customizing Taxes, check out the "Creating and Editing Tax Rates" article.
Non-Taxable: Tax added via the Item Taxes widget in the Administration tab can be removed. For assistance with removing tax options, check out the "Creating and Editing Tax Rates" article.
Volume Pricing: Allows discounted unit prices for items sold in bulk. For example, clients purchasing an item at x quantity pay one price, while clients purchasing that same product at y quantity pay another price.
Apply to Remainder: If enabled, this will apply the discount in between tiers (e.g. if the tier 1 desired price point is purchase quantity 6 @ $3.00, and tier 2 price point is purchase quantity 12 @ $2.50, then the unit price for 8 will also receive the discount price for purchasing a quantity that falls within the tier 1 price point of $3.00).
Reminder: This allows you to dictate reminder intervals that are suited to the item or service. When that item or service is added to the invoice, that reminder will be added to the Reminder widget for that patient automatically.
Also Replaces: If an item or service that's added to a patient’s record requires that reminder to be replaced by other items or services at a later date, select those items or services from the drop-down. For example, a DHPP/Lepto combo vaccine should also replace reminders for Lepto and DHPP vaccines individually. For the DHLPP Combo Vaccine, the Reminder should list the desired interval needed, and the Also Replaces section should have both DHPP and Lepto vaccines listed.
Minimum On-Hand Quantity: Quantity at which a notification will appear on the Low Inventory Report to reorder. This field disappears when Non-stocking or Procedure is enabled.
Maximum On-Hand Quantity: Quantity at which the hospital sets as the desired maximum amount of an item to have on hand. This will appear on the Low Inventory Report to assist with reordering appropriate quantities. This field disappears when Non-stocking or Procedure is enabled.
Next Tag Number: If the code you are creating is serialized and you wish for Hippo to auto-increment the next tag/serial number, enter the next available tag number here. The next time this item is invoiced, Hippo will automatically fill in the tag number for you negating the need for manual entry.
Drug ID: This item field is not yet tied to any additional functionality. It exists as a placeholder as we develop future controlled substance log integrations as well as future reporting updates.
Species Restriction: Restricts an item or service from being added to the checkout screen if that patient is outside the selected species set for this item or service.
Item Kit: This allows for bundling items and/or services together for faster and more efficient data entry at the checkout and estimate level. For additional assistance with setting up Item Kits, check out Administration: Creating and Editing Item Kits
Credits and Gift Cards are a great way for a practice to collect partial payments, collect donations, and also add credits to a patient’s account for future use. For additional assistance with creating and applying credits and/or gift cards, check out Administration: Creating and Using a Deposit/Account Credit Code