Creating and Using Discount Codes
Hippo Manager allows you to apply discounts to individual line items on the checkout screen as well as the total invoice using discount codes.
Creating a Discount Item Code
1. From the Administration tab, click the Items and Services widget/icon.
2. Click Create New Item in the upper right corner of the screen and fill out the following sections:
- Name: Type desired name of the discount code (Example, Friends and Family Discount)
- UPC: Skip
- Type: Select Discount Code from the dropdown menu.
- Location: Select the location(s) you wish for this discount item to be available in.
- Account: Skip
- Category: Secondary Item Identifier (Useful for Reporting) To customize, check out the Creating Custom Categories article.
- Description Box and Allow Alt Description allow for additional notes to appear on the invoice. (Skip if not applicable)
Item Behavior- Skip
Item Pricing- Skip
Inventory Control- Skip
3. Click Save Item when finished.
Using a Discount Code on an Invoice
1. Find the open invoice through the Checkout tab.
2. After you've generated all desired items on the invoice, add the Discount code through the Find/Scan search bar, selecting it from the dropdown, and click Add Item.
3. Click the pencil/edit to the right of the line item, and after you’ve calculated the desired total discount dollar amount, add that value to the Price field.
- Example Situation: If the invoice total is $140.29, and you’re giving the owner a 20% discount off the total, type $28.06 into the Price field.
4. Click the checkmark to the right of the line item to save changes.
5. Finally, process the owner's payment by selecting the Payment Type followed by Add Payment found in the lower right corner of your screen. After you’ve processed the card, click Complete Sale to generate a receipt, and the discount breakdown will be listed.
To apply a discount to a single line item only, check out the Applying Invoice Line Item Discounts article.